January 16 - Chicago Lechon In An Iowa Trailer

For three days, Lauren and I have been preparing Cuban black beans and lechon asado, a tender Cuban pork dish. Since Wednesday we have toasted coriander, roasted whole cumin, chopped onions, minced garlic, minced peppers, cooked orange juice, squeezed limes, and massaged pork.

We drove the food plus ourselves to Iowa City, where my Uncle Jose lives. In my cousin Michelle's trailer my family celebrated Jose's birthday. My mom made guava empanadas and my uncle made tuna croquetas and chichachirritas. Lauren and I received many compliments on our dishes, and I was told that the black beans tasted just like my grandmother's.
I didn't know I could do that.

We drank margaritas and played dominoes, AC/DC Guitar Hero, Buzzword, and a game I did not enjoy called Fact or Crap? For a nightcap, Michelle, Lauren and I fell asleep on the couch while the original Friday the 13th blared on the flat screen TV.

Verdict: Win

No comments:

Post a Comment