October 30 - The Magic Skull

Tonight was the opening and closing for The Bitter Tears original theatrical production of The Magic Skull.

Around noon, we convened in a basement for tech rehearsal.
Holli acted as stage manager with a laptop and sound cues of various origin.
It felt weird to run through the show without drinking.

At 3pm I joined in a chorus for The Paper Machete.
Myself, John from My My My, Dan the details writer at Groupon, and newly transplanted Alabama-transplant Sam provided a chorus for host Christopher Piatt's version of "Her Tears Flowed Like Wine".

For dress rehearsal, The Bitter Tears reconvened at Saki, a record store run by Carrot Top Records, located in the lungs of Chicago's Logan Square.
Again, it just didn't feel right to perform theater without drinking.
So we obtained drinks.

Meanwhile, Bob Dey's Tank Engine Man took the stage and took it well.
They began with a goofy seance that summoned the ghost of ELO to play their instruments for them.
"Or Can," someone also said.
I do like when bands like melody.
And when the ghosts they summon like melody, too.

Then it was time for the world premiere of The Magic Skull: A Play In Three Acts.
Everyone had enough drinking to get into their actor zone.
Holli ran sound while I ran the lights.
The light board consisted of four light switches on the wall.
The kind you might find in every home in the world.
Then it was act three, my grand return to the stage.
In a record store.

I felt the lights.
I felt the liquor.
I felt the magic.
I fucked up my song.
But only my fellow actors noticed.
We received a standing ovation because there were no chairs.
It felt good to be great again.

In all sincerity,
my amazing readers, my adoring fans, my Mendozkateers:
There's No Business Like Show Business.
Thank You Very Much.
God Bless The United States Of America.
And May Gold Bless You The Way He Has Blessed Me.
Yes.
He.


Here is saki's review of the show.
Here is my review of the show.
Here is the show.

Verdict: Win

No comments:

Post a Comment