April 8 - Bad Advice From My Own Voice

Tonight I went to Greg Norman's home studio to record vocals for The Nurse Novels. Thea joined me, lending her critical ear to the proceedings.

I forgot how frustrating recording vocals can be. Especially if you don't consider yourself a singer and struggle with being in the spotlight. But after 13 or 14 tries at the line "You're too old for this," you have to listen to your own lyrics, get over it, and just do it. This required ignoring my own voice in the cans telling me I'm not good enough.
Vocals can be a mindfuck if that's what you choose.

I sang "Little Boy" and "Inside A Car Wash." Then we sipped some Jefferson bourbon and I screamed through "Monsters 'n' Moldies." I worry that it's too Jon Spencer of a vocal, but I think the world will survive it. Next I yelled through a song either called "NIMBY" or "Frozen Muzak" before my voice gave out. It was 12:46am.

We had 18 items on Colonel Tom's spreadsheet to accomplish tonight.
We achieved three and a half of them.

Still.
I got to sing on a record.

Verdict: Win

No comments:

Post a Comment