December 1 - The Green Tin Ceiling, The Checkered Floor

My notes for today say:

Waste of a day
Dead night at bar

When it's dead at the bar, I read in the dark.
When it's too dark to read, I spend money on the jukebox.
When I run out of dollars, I look around the bar peacefully and purposelessly.

Here are some things I have looked at in the bar when it's dead:

Nude Madonna poster
The El
The Tamale Guy leaving
Giant Bears helmet atop the defunct phone booth
Kim texting
Taxidermied antlered deer
A TV playing B-movies
Framed Happy Jack LP
Ceiling kites
Budweiser blimp
Lingering hipsters playing the same three ELO songs
Errant Connect Four pieces on the floor
Dr. Dude pinball machine
Another TV playing the hockey game
Ceramic pigs overlooking Beach Street
Leroux peppermint schnapps mirror
Sloppy couple public foreplay
Einstein poster
Chrome or Timbuk2 messenger bags
Miniature footballs (Spiderman, Jack Daniels, Navy)
A third TV playing Pee Wee's Playhouse
Peanuts, Cheez-Its and Slim Jims
Drunken off-key, off-lyric shout-alongs
Rotating Radio Shack color sphere (resurrected by Kim)
A dictionary and a thesaurus
Old Style lamp
H.R. Pufnstuf poster
Hoodies
Bears gnomes
A big tooth
The green tin ceiling
The checkered floor
My cellphone

I think I almost made $30.

Verdict: Loss

No comments:

Post a Comment