July 31 - Two Things I Enjoy, One Thing I'm Good At

It turns out that Colleen and Robyn liked the rough mix of the score I did last week for their comedy short. I asked Thea to contribute banjo and acoustic guitar and spent the majority of last night and this morning mixing it. It sounds decent for a garageband recording using built-in laptop mics. My recording engineer friends would probably disagree.

The rest of the day was spent catching up on this blog.
Between Beatlemagica opening, trying to secure a new vocational direction, and suffering from mild depression, I haven't quite been able to keep the pace I once had with this thing.

There's a lot of stuff I leave out or forget to put in.
Mostly about the frustration of the job search.
I don't want this loudmouth blog to become the reason I don't land a job.
Suffice it to say, I've been putting lots of energy into it.

I never mentioned that a couple of Sundays ago I had coffee with my old high school friend Laura. She's lived mostly in Africa for her adult life.
Now she's back in the States
She and I are the only ones in our old circle of friends who are not married.
"I think I missed the boat on that one," she said on the walk home.

I also forgot to mention that on the last night of The Bitter Tears tour, Alan went back to the hotel room in Amsterdam and they played The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant.

Today I walked out of the house in my slippers to get some Thai food and beer.
While the supermarket cashier handed me the change, the next guy in line moved within an inch of me and began his transaction. This happens all the time, so I should be used to it.
But I'm not.
I still mumble things like "Jesus fucking Christ, give me some fucking room".
When I walked into the Thai place to get my carryout, the woman shouted across the room full of diners.
"PICK UP? WHAT'S YOUR NAME?"
Since I didn't feel like yelling my own name to a room full of strangers, I walked up to her and said it.
"WHAT?"
She was annoyed.
"I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"
Why do I even leave the house?

I spent the day working on sound design, writing and being a difficult curmudgeon.
If there's a way to do that for a living I'd like to find out how.

Verdict: Win

No comments:

Post a Comment