August 5 - Bore Man

In 127 miles I delivered a sombrero to a photographer, gave blueprints to a company that makes those miniature models for architects, and got an envelope sniffed by a canine security unit.

Between 4pm and 7pm I attempted to take a disco nap.
But I was nervous.
At 10pm I began my first shift as a doorman for a bar.
Here's what I wrote during a tired, misanthropic lull in the action:

I keep reading page 15 over and over again. The Road by Cormac McCarthy. The cue ball just rolled off the table. Tonight is my first night as a doorman. I don't anticipate it being my last night. Maybe my third night will be my last.

This profession doesn't suit me. I took it for the money and the life experience. Right now I'm experiencing that stupid 80's dance pop song that goes "Oh-eee-oh-eee-oh!" It sounds like Prince or some crap that everybody loves but I don't.
It's not that bad. It's just boring. I told myself I would hold out on drinking until after midnight. 12:01!

Hungry - fatigued from driving all day. If the tamale guy is to be believed he'll be here again sometime soon.
"TAMALE! TAMALE!" he shouted to no-takers around 10:16.

I'm not good at carding people. In fact, I loathe doing it. I never did it when I cashiered at a supermarket. When I worked at a gas station at age 18, I sold cigarettes to underage kids all the time. The one time I didn't was because the kid was like 10 or something.
Who am I to tell people what they can and can't do. Do whatever you want.
I give myself about 1.4 seconds to find some sort of date on an ID. I think I've mostly been spotting expiration dates.
People have for the most part been cool.
I like this bar.

"Are you old enough to card people?" he joked.
I did my best to smile. Later when he smoked outside, I had to shoo him away from the door. He made a joke about me having to kick an old man's ass.

Many of the regulars have introduced themselves with kind handshakes. I'm surprised that I've been able to retain their names. Holly - Erik - Catherine - the Asian guy whose name I never got. Ed - the guy who eats sandwiches in the bedroom in the back.

Tonight is like a pilot episode. I can't say whether or not I like it.
I think I've waited long enough for that drink.

The tamale guy never did return.
But I tried something new.
Something out of my comfort zone.

Verdict: Win

No comments:

Post a Comment