August 16 - Wimps

Today I began exploring a new direction as a production assistant on the set of a commercial.
I arrived at a residence in Oak Park at 7:30am.
I wore a red cowboy shirt and jeans.
The other PAs wore black t-shirts and cargo shorts.
While many people did several things, I taped cardboard to the walls of the house.
I took garbage out.
I walked around.
I looked for things to do.

It was a commercial for a website that babysits for you or something.
Two kids and a young woman walked up and down a porch forty times.
Then it was lunch.
Protocol dictated that production assistants eat last.
While the cast and the crew ate in the backyard, Ash, a veteran PA, and I took turns eating kabobs and watching all the gear that was laying out in the front yard.
Ash came equipped with a belt of tools and tape and blades.
He told me about a shoot for a local car dealership that lasted over 30 hours.

This job is different.
I have to be ready to improvise.
And create work for myself.
I'm not so good at this.

I have to talk to strangers.
Sometimes I have to tell them to do things.
I'm not good at this either.
But it's change and historically that is supposed to be a good thing.

For one scene, I listened to the action from the steps of the house.
The owner sat next to me and chatted with the talent between takes.
The actor playing the mother had to shush the woman in her own home.

The shoot was easy and done by 3pm.
I was asked if I could help out for the rest of the week on a different job.
Of course.

I went home and wrote a wimpy song.
It's called "Wimps".
Despite the victorious day, it was how I was felt.

Verdict: Win

No comments:

Post a Comment