August 4 - Beatlemagica, Lady Cops, & SNL Audition Anxiety

The second and final performance of Beatlemagica played to a packed house at The Annoyance. Lauren attended, as did The Bitter Tears gang, a Nurse Novel and fiance, a Timeless Wavelength, and several improv pals. Plus strangers!

Now that it's over, here is the premise of the show:

Four candy factory workers in Gristlepond, Iowa have a bunch of personal problems.
These problems are made worse by their abusive Jethro Tull-loving boss and Stevie, a scary janitor who is the bastard son of a ghost, and always carries a copy of Things Fall Apart.
The four candy factory workers decide to form a Beatles tribute band, called Beatlemagica.
The first thing they do is take a British dialect class.
Then they acquire wigs and instruments.
Nobody can play their instrument, except the Paul, an accomplished right-handed bassist.
But he switches to playing left-handed for the sake of authenticity.
They practice "Help!" one time and enter a Battle of The Beatles Tribute Bands, or a "Beat Off".
Captain 66, a 60's acid casualty radio personality, hosts the Beat Off.
Beatlemagica performs "Come Together".
While accepting the award for 2nd Runner Up, the Paul is stabbed to death by Stevie the scary co-worker, who requests Jethro Tull to a shocked Captain 66.
Everyone in Gristlepond is sad.
But back at the factory, the surviving members of Beatlemagica realize that since the Paul is dead, all of their personal problems have been solved. The boss gives them all promotions because the radio is constantly playing Jethro Tull. Another coworker wins a scratch off lottery ticket.
The mayor declares Local World Peace for the town of Gristlepond.
There is a Beatlemagica reunion on the rooftop of the candy factory.
It becomes a true reunion when the ghost of the Paul returns from the dead and opens the floor to Beatles requests.
Just then, a still-unarrested Stevie invades the stage.
The ghost of the Paul forgives Stevie, and mentions that he met Stevie's ghost mother, and they are now dating.
Stevie requests "Penny Lane" and sings it.
The mayor plays trumpet.
All in twenty minutes!

Somehow the show avoided the dreaded second time blues.
"Help!" was punk rock fast and almost too skilled!
I gave them the note to pick up the pace in the third factory scene.
They did.
Unfortunately, I chose to experiment with adding three dumb sound effects to the scene, which completely hiccuped the pace.
I think I'm better at conceiving ideas than I am at directing.
I think I'm better at directing than I am at operating lights and sound.
Overall, Beatlemagica was a great experience, and I'm glad it happened.

I played drums for Lady Cops, and the girls brought the house down.
Killer show.

I stuck around afterward in order to become drunk.
This was accomplished with Fat Tire brand ale.

My friend Chris has an audition next week in New York for Saturday Night Live.
This is a good thing.
Yes, the show still fucking sucks asshole.
However, it is an amazing opportunity for anyone who wants to do comedy.
It can lead to a great career in whichever direction you want to go.
So I am always happy when one of my friends lands the gig.
Last year my friend Pat got hired as a writer.
It seems he's doing well.

While I was loading up my drums, Chris tested some of his audition bits for me.
I like Chris a lot.
He's always been very cool to me.
This is going to be such a nerve-wracking mindfuck of a week for him.
I hope he gets it.

Verdict: Win

No comments:

Post a Comment