November 12 - Metal Flake Rake

For some reason, every autumn I go through a surf/hot rod phase.
I don't know why this is, and I don't think too much about it.
I'm too busy waxin' my woodie.

Inspired by The Hondells and The Rip-Chords, last autumn I wrote a song with those kooky surf/hot rod chord progressions called "Two-Wheeled Vermin".
I've always wanted to write a kooky, spooky surf song about bike messengering.
Poeticizing the perils of winter riding.
Getting squeezed between busses, the slick metal bridges, the puddles that were potholes filled with rain, wiping out on manhole covers, getting doored by a box truck.
Messengering was the closest I've ever come to surfing.

On my indestructible Yamaha Portasound PSS-380 I wrote some chords.
A Cm to C intro into a C#m that begins the progression.
It went on from there, with more key changes and all that.
I had a good base for a cool song.
Then it was time to write lyrics.
I was having difficulty with this.
I think the first line I had was

Sleet shitting out of God's cold asshole

Not exactly Yeats.
I couldn't get it to work.
And so it sat dormant for a while.

Inspired this fall by The Super Stocks and 1963 Bruce Johnston, I revived the tune.
But I changed the lyrics from bike messengering to old timey carnival rides.

You hold me
And I hold you
A scream and a smile
Electric fumes are in the air
And the sparks rain down
Smells like burning hair

Not exactly Yeats either.
But at least there's no mention of God's intestinal tract problems.

Verdict: Win

No comments:

Post a Comment