Happy Groundhog's Day

It is Groundhog's Day.
So if you know one, wish it a happy one.
Apparently it is also snowing.
I went out to see about it, the snow.
It's fluffy and tall and white and cold.
And it's still coming down.
Inspired, I wrote a play script in homage to the blizzard, and how it unites everyone in a universal spirit of good cheer.


GROUNDHOG'S DAY
A short play script
by Tony Mendoza

It is Groundhog Day in Chicago. TONY, dressed in his old bike messenger winter gear, shovels snow around his van on a side street. An OLD WOMAN emerges from her home with a shovel. She growls.

OLD WOMAN
Did you put that snow on the sidewalk?

TONY points to area between the street and sidewalk.

TONY
I put it here, some of it might have gotten on the sidewalk.

OLD WOMAN
You put the snow on the sidewalk then.

TONY
I didn't put the snow on the sidewalk. The snow did.

OLD WOMAN
I know the snow did. But you put it there, too.

TONY points to three pellet-sized pieces of snow on the sidewalk.

TONY
I might have put that one, that one, and that one on the sidewalk. I'm sorry.

OLD WOMAN
I'm just going to shovel it back.

TONY
Okay.

OLD WOMAN
You live on Clark, don't you?

TONY points to apartments on the next block north.

TONY
I live there.

OLD WOMAN
Why don't you park on that street then?

TONY
This is a public street.

OLD WOMAN
I know it's a public street!

TONY
I'm sorry that you're upset about the blizzard, ma'am, but it is not my fault.

OLD WOMAN shovels heapings of snow toward TONY's van. TONY looks at her and shrugs.

OLD WOMAN
Now I have to shovel the sidewalk all over again.

TONY
It's still snowing. You were going to have to shovel it again anyway. (Under his breath) If you were nice I would have done it for you.

The OLD WOMAN growls.

TONY
The snow did all this, not me. But if you need me to be the bad guy then I will play that role for you.

OLD WOMAN
You're such a martyr.

TONY
Happy Groundhog's Day!

THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment