June 9 - Baby Baby Baby

It's time to get back to doing sit-ups and push-ups and curls in the morning.
And eating better.
And losing this little tour gut.
I am way out of shape, and had to abort my second set of push-ups.
Baby steps.
Shit-in-diaper baby steps.

Really slow day today.
3 runs total.
That's Pullman era money.

A new driver, Eric, had left his lights on.
The car battery was dead at Wells and Van Buren.
I was asked to give him a jump.
It was 4pm.
With Wells closed to the Eisenhower, and construction crippling all flow, the afternoon rush crawled like the world's stupidest baby. The city appointed a traffic director to stand at the intersection and yell at everybody.
I explained my situation and he worked with me on it.
He held up traffic (as if anyone would notice at that point) so I could make a big horseshoe U-turn heading the wrong way on a one-way to face Eric's car head-on.
We jumped his car skittishly. This procedure still makes me timid. It conjures up nightmares of sparks, exploding engines, shrapnel, screams, blood, tourniquets, hospitals, funerals.
But none of this happened to us today. Instead, I performed my good deed of the decade.
Now I can continue being an asshole baby for the next nine and half years.
Phew!

Verdict: Win

1 comment:

  1. i used to know a rhyming chant to help remember but i forgot...but the safest way to do a jump is:
    connect dead battery + to good battery +;
    then connect good battery - to dead car engine block, metal tab, exposed steel, etc. NOT the dead car battery -. this procedure will prevent the dead battery from blowing up (not that likely but do it this way anyway). the exposed metal is the 'ground', which has electrical connection to the dead car starter so the car will start.

    ReplyDelete