June 10 - PRF 1

In Chicago there is a recording studio called Electrical Audio.
It is run by Steve Albini.
On its website there is a forum.
I have been a member of this forum since 2004.
It has provided me with information on how to put out vinyl records, lessons in touring etiquette, gear information, and an endless scroll of musical minutiae with a disciplined smart ass streak.
There used to be a lot of fights on the board.
You know.
The internet.
Most often it was entertaining, the way girl fights can be.
I mostly troll.
Last year a large contingent of the board got together for the first time to throw a barbeque.
We met the faces behind the avatars, the bold posts, the virtual black eyes (cyber-shiners).
About 30 bands played.
Some might call it a "cult" or a "sausage party" or, based on the hundreds of dollars spent at the Paulina Meat Market, a "sausage cult".
But it was great.
Hot food, loud music, warm beer.
The occasional woman.
Even Steve Albini showed up.

This year the premier rock forum is throwing another gala.
Tonight, the first of four consecutive nights, began at Quenchers.
I rode my bike down, enjoyed the music, caught up with old friends, and drank a box of beer.
I even got to ride back home drunk, my ears ringing with six bands worth of fun.
It's just beginning.

Verdict: Win

No comments:

Post a Comment