May 8 - Nurse Nausea

A whole day to myself!
I watched Chinatown, I fell asleep, I ordered a pizza, I drank beer.
I ate over 100 square inches of pizza.
That's too much.

Tonight The Nurse Novels played our second preview.
We played Cal's Bar, located just blocks away from the Metra, the way to really die.
The set went really well.
This time we practiced before the show, AND we had a setlist!
Now all we need are some monitors and a sound check.
We threw in covers by Van Halen, Brian Eno and Willips Brighton.
The Nurse Novels are here!

Immediately after the set, I felt completely ill in my downstairs. It would require action soon.
Unfortunately, I was at Cal's, one of my favorite places to play, but one of my least favorite to shit. It's a scummy, one-man hole. There would be lots of dudes knocking and waiting while I painstakingly rid my body of sickness.
No.
So I zipped out of there and into the van, homeward bound.
Lake Shore Drive seemed like Ohio, it went on forever.
Meanwhile I felt more and more green, and it got hotter and hotter.
I cracked a window to no avail.
At Montrose, I exited, hoping to find a spot on the harbor to just puke or something.
But the harbor was closed and some guy in a car was hanging out by the barricades.
So I went back onto the on ramp for LSD, but my body would not let me continue.
I put the blinkers on and got down on all four in front of the van.
The damp dirt felt cool on my palms.
I started to wretch, but the muscles that wanted to work weren't in my throat.
I clenched everything tightly and carefully wobbled back to the car.
At home, I did my business.
But I couldn't stay long, as the van was double-parked.
And I had to go back to Cal's anyway.
That's where my drums were.

On the way back, I listened to The Heavy Bombers CD that the bass player had given me prior to my illness. When I walked into Cal's they were playing a song I had just listened to in the car. Unfortunately, most of my friends who had come to see our band had left, and I never got a chance to say thanks. Meanwhile The Heavy Bombers covered Little Richard and The Vaselines, and I bopped around until I felt sick again. So it was back to the van to lie down.

We didn't make a lot of money tonight, and I don't like feeling sick, but The Nurse Novels proved something to themselves tonight.

Verdict: Win

No comments:

Post a Comment