May 2 - Depp & Dali

Today was the penultimate performance of Rush Limbaugh! The Musical, and a lively good one, too. The Timeless Wavelengths (our dopey band name) were in fine form, goofing around and trying new fills and runs and bombastic flourishes. I will miss playing with TJ and Trey.

I was expecting mostly ridicule from the beginnings of this moustache on my face.
But!
Today I received many compliments about it. Most of them from women (?!?)
Colleen: Wow, Tonze! You look Cuban or sumthin'.
Emily W: I like your European Johnny Depp look.
Trey (pointing): Hey, I like this!
Heather: I didn't recognize you with your new Salvador Dali look.
John: It actually doesn't look that bad.

After Rush, I went to Quencher's, where The Bitter Tears would perform in several hours. The openers, a couple of bands from New York, had requested the use of my drum kit, and would pay for my food and drinks in return.
I washed down a Cuban Reuben with a couple of lagers on tap while Thelma & Louise subtitled on the television.
Then I got very tired.

Despite fatigue, the show went well. Even the crappiest Bitter Tears shows are at their least weird and of interest. Lots of friends came out to see it, including five students from my Annoyance class. That was cool considering live music often seems like Kryptonite to improv nerds.
We played "Murdered at the Bar" and Alan got nostalgic, prompting reminiscing from each member of the band. Alan and Mike remembered how they met on a tennis court as teenagers. John reminisced about his drinking days, showing up to parties naked except for fresh fruit covering his genitalia. I waxed nostalgic about seeing a vivisected pig lying next to the trampoline on my aunt's farm. Then the show just sort of ended.

As did the night.

Verdict: Win

No comments:

Post a Comment