December 9 - Direction

Ursus Maritipests
Another early morning on the arctic beach.
Today we filmed polar bears.
Polar bears are those weirdos that decide to swim through frigid waters in the dead of winter.
I'm not sure what the purpose of it is.
Maybe people that dip themselves into active volcanos or run over small parts of their bodies with lawnmowers could better elaborate on the attributes of polar bearing.
But they were nice weirdos.
The director had them strip down a few times until he got the timing right.
It took a while.
The eldest polar bear was an Eastern European guy who laughed a lot and didn't take direction.
He kept ruining takes with loud Slavic interjections.
I liked him.

It was time for the polar bears to jump into the freezing lake.
I was looking forward to seeing the purposeless of it, but Veruca-
"Guys, we're really behind schedule.  We need you to load the gear and go."
So while they filmed the polar bears doing their thing, Jerzy and I had to drag the C-stands, flags, and diffs across the beach and away from the "fun".
It was like she changed the channel on a junk TV show we were watching so we would take out the garbage.



Kites Are Fun
Next was a kite flyer we met on Montrose Harbor.
He was quiet and didn't offer much in the interview.
Lots of no's and yeah's.
As an editor it's hard to cut to a guy with a kite and all he says is "no".
But wouldn't that be fun?
So I liked him, too.
He flew his kites in the windy biting anger of December while the crew danced to keep warm.
Kites are fun.

Pho-ender Bender
For lunch we went to a Tank Noodle, a Vietnamese spot.
Jerzy protested.
He didn't want to eat Vietnamese food, even though he didn't know what it was.
So he got a hot dog somewhere else.
I dropped the crew off and looked for parking.
On the second circle around, a spot had opened up in front of Tank.
I put my signal on and proceeded to back into the spot.
I heard a distant horn honk.
And honk again.
The horn kept up while I continued to back up into the spot.
Then I heard and felt a smack from the back of the long 15 passenger van.
Oh.
It seems that horn wasn't all that distant.
I hopped out of the van to find a very angry man yelling at me.
He called me stupid.
He called me an idiot.
I asked if he was all right.
He yell-asked if I had heard him honking.
There was no real damage done to either vehicle.
He asked me what was wrong with me.
I dead panned a sorry.
He called me stupid one more time and drove off in a huff.
Luckily, none of the crew saw the nonsense of no consequence.
Veruca delivered pho to me in the van, where I would enjoy it in solitude while Run DMC's "Sucker MC's" was dissected on Fresh Air.
I inhaled pho, and exhaled.

Locations, Locations, Locations
The rest of the day was spent in the van while the crew filmed indoors.
Every now and then people would poke in and grab some crafty.
Chaz, the locations manager, hung out with me for a while.
He said I would be a natural for locations.
I listened.
Locations.
That is probably my direction in this world.
Hey, I found a direction.

Verdict: Win

No comments:

Post a Comment